Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My Cover Photo

The cover photo on my Facebook page has remained the same for quite some time.  It has a significance that, at a glance, most people might not realize. 

My grandmother, aka Mimi, was a huge part of my life.  I was with her on almost a daily basis from the time I was just a babe.  She was not only my grandmother but also my friend.  She was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in April of 2011.  It was something that we, the family, already knew.  As morbid as it may sound, I am thankful for how rapidly the disease progressed. 

On February 15th, 2012 at 3:30 in the afternoon, she passed away.  I was by her side when she left this world.  I cannot put into words the peace that was in that room as she drew her final breath.  She was gone, and as I stood there looking at her body, I felt her presence leaving me.  I wanted to chase after her, but how? 

I found myself walking:  leaving the room…down the hallway…into the living room…out the front door…onto the porch…and out into the yard.  I know the brain is in charge of motor skills, but mine was on auto-pilot.  I wasn’t thinking; I was feeling.
My heart and the emotions contained inside of it consumed me.  My heart led me out that door. 

As I stood there, I looked to the sky.  It was one of the most amazingly beautiful skies I have seen.  There, right in my face, was God.  And, I felt her presence again.  I felt her love and her laughter.  I felt her beauty and peace.  I felt grace and comfort.  I felt blessed.  I quickly grabbed my phone from my pocket and began snapping pictures of the sky.  I tried to capture all of the wonderful awesomeness that I saw. 

My cover photo doesn’t even begin to do justice to the beauty I witnessed that day….the beauty of my Mimi’s life…the beauty of our God, but each time I see it, I am reminded of how one of my saddest days was touched by something divine…and, I am grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Life holds sadness and beauty, all at the same time. I'm not surprised that your first blog was about this day. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete